We’re accepting SOUP applications for the 2023 year! Scroll down to the bottom of this page for the application.
Our SOUP dates are January 10, March 7, May 9, and November 7. We’re accepting general applications, and will inform applicants which date they will be presenting. If you are aware you will have conflicts, please make a note of that in your application and we’ll take that into account. Thank you for your participation!
WHAT IS SOUP?
Viroqua SOUP is a micro-granting, crowd-funding event celebrating and supporting creative projects in Viroqua. For a suggested donation of $5, attendees receive soup, bread, and a vote, and listen to four project pitches that can include anything from an art installation, to a community event, to a social cause. Each presenter has four minutes to share their idea and answer four questions from the audience. At the event, attendees eat, talk, share resources, enjoy music, and vote on the project they think will benefit the city the most. At the end of the night, the ballots are counted and the winner goes home with all of the money raised to carry out their project. The winner comes back to a future SOUP event to report his or her project’s progress.
The Viroqua SOUP’s mission is to promote community-based development through crowdfunding, creativity, collaboration, democracy, trust, and fun.
- Empower residents to be creative and have a voice
- Allow people to establish new relationships and networks
- Promote action and change
- Foster critical dialogue
- Instill community pride
- Provide a deeper understanding of democracy
READY TO APPLY? HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Your proposal does not need to be a novel. Keep it brief and to the point.
- Your idea can be about ANYTHING!
- The project must be implemented in Viroqua.
- You do not have to be a resident to submit an idea.
- You can submit your idea more than once. If your idea does not get selected this time around, submit again! Only four submissions are chosen to share at the SOUP.
- Anything you submit (except your phone number) will be used to print at the event, so please make sure you edit, look for spelling errors, etc.
- We DO NOT use technology to present (aka PowerPoint or things that are based on the idea of the projector)
- SOUP is not a formal event. People sit on the ground, and anything can happen, magic is everywhere.
The submission form will be available when our next series of Viroqua SOUP is scheduled.